Welcome to the website of Neptune’s Army of Rubbish Cleaners. An award winning charity helping to keep the underwater world litter free since 2005.
While the impacts of litter washed up or left on our shoreline can easily be seen, the same cannot be said for marine litter that is below the surface of the ocean. Neptune’s Army of Rubbish Cleaners or N.A.R.C for short are a voluntary group of divers with a passion for keeping the underwater environment in Pembrokeshire as pristine as it should be. Since its inception in 2005 by local diver Dave Kennard and Keep Wales Tidy the group has carried out over 200 underwater clean-ups and a number of awareness raising events.
N.A.R.C can be found at a number of sites along the coastline throughout the diving season collecting litter that is often having a negative impact on the habitat and the wildlife it supports. Everything from shopping trolleys, car batteries, bikes, fishing tackle and quite literally the kitchen sink are removed by divers before being cleaned and recycled where possible.
Please follow the links to find out more about us including how we clean up sites, what we find, pictures of marine litter and how it effects wildlife, how you can get involved, past and upcoming clean ups and some suggestions on fishing tackle rigs that will minimise tackle loss when angling in Pembrokeshire. Make sure you check out the news page, our events calendar, the Narc in Action pages and our videos.
Winner of “the most admired voluntary organisation” in Wales 2009 by the WCVA
- NARC joins forces with Loutraki Divers to help clean Greek seas
- Neptune’s Army of Rubbish Cleaners initiative shortlisted for the Campaign for National Parks Park Protector of the Year Award
- NARC invited to launch of Global Ghost Gear Initiative (GGGI) in London
- Narc working with World Animal Protection and local fisherman
- Neptune’s Army welcomes new volunteer
- Rubbish army celebrates 10 years of underwater cleaning
- Penguins join the litter army
- Underwater litter pickers get in the driver’s seat
- NARC raising awareness of marine litter on the BBCs One Show
- 2013 goes down a one of NARC’s best clean up years